• Our boulder matrix opal is the real precious boulder matrix opal which is only found in Queensland, Australia and is not treated in any way.
• An Australian boulder matrix opal is a naturally occuring precious opal mixed with the parent rock ( ironstone)
rather than having been deposited in seams or patches, like in boulder opal.
• The parent rock is a ferruginous rock ( containing iron ), and is called ironstone.
• It is found exclusively in Queensland, Australia, and does not need to be treated before cutting or polishing.
• The word boulder matrix is used in its name, because it is always found in proximity or among deposits boulder opal, and the mother rock is the same as boulder opal.
• It is not to be confused with Andamoonka matrix stone from South Australia, of which the mother rock is of a different composition and must be treated before cutting and polishing to accentuate the opal colours
• When cut and polished, by world standards, boulder opal matrix stone is a "Natural opal,Type 3.